Tuesday, January 5, 2010

All cupcakes, all the time

 I got some troubles but they won't last
I'm gonna lay right down here in the grass
And pretty soon all my troubles will pass
'cause I'm in shoo-shoo-shoo, shoo-shoo-shoo
Shoo-shoo, shoo-shoo, shoo-shoo Sugar Town


Zooey Deschanel cover of Sugar Town

So, I had a bomb dropped on me today that made me quite upset.  I pulled myself together though, and am figuring out a plan of attack.

I was perusing one of my favorite blogs a little while after this happened, and I decided that I felt like posting about something that makes me happy: cupcakes.

I think my crush on cupcakes, or cuppycakes as I like to call them, really went into overdrive when I went to visit a friend in NYC in October.  We discovered that the Ritz was doing a high tea style serving Saturday afternoons through October.  Um, we were so there.  The experience was quite delightful, daaaahlings.  And as you can see, all evidence disappeared rather quickly.

 Before


Red Velvet, Coconut Cream, Valrhona Chocolate, 
Strawberry Shortcake, and Sicilian Pistachio and Almond
(Strawberry Shortcake was my fave)

After



Before I left for NYC, I looked up the Ritz here in Boston to see if they had the same event happening.  Lo and behold!  They did!  So what did I do?  Make plans with friends to go to another cuppycake tea, the weekend after my NYC trip.  Naturally.  The decor was more modern, and the cuppycakes served were different than the ones we had in NYC.  Win!


  The Great Pumpkin, Bewitched Boston Cream Pie, Vampire’s Blood Red Velvet
Chocolate BOO!, Caramel Apple Jack O’Lantern
(Boston Cream Pie was my fave)



 
Kristen, you're not supposed to put milk in your fruity, herbal tea.
Cuz then it, uh, looks like this.

My cuppycake (how many times have I used that word already?), uh, infatuation is well-known by most, as I've now started to receive themed gifts.

Exhibit A


A way to easily transport my tasty treats

Exhibit B



Cupcake pen anyone? It smells like one, too.

Exhibit C


 
This I gifted to myself, for hours of baking fun!

On my To Get List:


 A pretty stand


 To-go boxes


Cookie cutters 
 


(the stencils)

I don't have any of my own recipes yet (I'm not talented in that way), but I have been given some nummy frosting recipes.  I think I'll try to make some lemon raspberry delights this weekend, with a scrumptious filling!

So am I alone?  Do I have any other cuppycake aficionados/aficionadas out there?  Don't be shy.  We'll go into sugar shock together.  Oh!  And please share any yummy & fun recipes you have or know of!

P.S. Check out the fun ones I made for a party back on Halloween!





{Images courtesy Crate & Barrel, Sur la Table, Chronicle Books, Stubby Pencils Studio}

9 comments:

Lula! January 5, 2010 at 10:27 PM  

I love you...
but I'm just not a big fan of cake. Of any kind.

Now...if some 80 year old granny makes a homemake caramel cake (yellow cake, caramel icing--REAL caramel icing, meaning it's been cooked and smoothed to fluffy perfection), or a real red velvet one, then I'm all over that.

I'd just rather have chips and salsa.

But...go you! Be the Cupcake Queen. I have christened thee.

Unknown January 5, 2010 at 10:30 PM  

Ok so here's the deal.. me + you = Vancouver BC trip. BEST cupcakes in the world. Like they're made of pound cake or something. Most amazing thing I ever put in my mouth. Every street corner in downtown VC is a cupcake store! PLUS if Rob is there again for BD it'll be like Marta HEAVEN! :) So yeah, we're going.... #letsdothis

Lisa January 5, 2010 at 10:38 PM  

You're killing me. I was jealous of that cuppycake tea BOTH times. Now you bring it up again. *Sigh* I have to come visit, if only for the cake.

Marta January 5, 2010 at 10:42 PM  

Meg!

Jamie, Marcie & I were totes in the Couve in September! AND we had cupcakes!

But I am willing to go back for more. I must for the amazing latte I had at this French cafe. So nom!

I love the Couve. The Olympics shall make me jealous.

Marta January 5, 2010 at 10:48 PM  

Lula dear,

I am more into the salt than the sugar now, but a brownie or a cupcake I shall not resist.

I thank you for the christening. I think I need a crown. With cupcakes on it. :-)

Unknown January 5, 2010 at 11:11 PM  

When I was in Vancouver I ate a cupcake that was the size of my head and had Tiffany blue icing and was lit'relly made of pound cake. OH and for my birthday I had one of those pretty cupcake tower things... I made strawberry cupcakes w/ fluffy whipped icing and hot pink sprinkles. I will have to send you a picture :) I think I may share your love of cuppycakes... I just didn't realize it till you posted this :)

Brooke Lockart January 5, 2010 at 11:27 PM  

I am so jealous of your cupcake tea time. I looked at the Ritz here in Philly and they don't do that. It's probably a good thing in the long run, you know, for my ass.

morphiaflow January 6, 2010 at 8:15 AM  

I *loved* the witches hat cupcake on halloween. Twas my favorite. Have you been to Magnolia in NYC? I'm not a fan of the plain vanilla, but they really are quite delightful.

Unknown January 9, 2010 at 12:39 AM  

cupcake friends!!!! i got TONS of cuppycake gifts this year... one of my favs from brookie- the cutest ever cupcake plate! plus a book... i got like 4 books for xmas and got a cute stand for my birthday! now... if i can just make cupcakes...

Visits


Snow Effect

Legal Brownie

Creative Commons License The Brownie Queen by Marta B. is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://thebrowniequeen.blogspot.com.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP